Welcome

Grab a cup of coffee and stop by each day to read our stories of love, hope, inspiration and education. Just maybe you'll shed a tear or find yourself laughing. We do what we do because every animal deserves a place to call home.

Calm...

Calm: (käm)
n.
1. An absence or cessation of motion; stillness.
2. Serenity; tranquillity; peace.

Such a simple word, with a simple meaning.  I have learned a lot the past few days about how this word must fit into your daily life if you are to have a successful relationship with your dog.  We live in a fast paced world, where deadlines need to be met, bills need to be paid, children need to be driven to soccer practice, dinner needs to be cooked, laundry needs to be done...you get my point.  So where does calm fit into your life and how does it relate to your dog?

 I am probably one of the most guilty, never practicing calm, I am always on the go, my mind is always spinning, and there is always too much to do, with too little time.  It has started to affect me with minor negative physical symptoms, such as TMJ and neck and back tension.  My two dogs live in a very excited state most of the time, not practicing calm either.  Totally my fault.  I need to be their teacher and lead them into the proper state of mind.

Your dogs read your energy, and it impacts their behavior.  If you are hyped up all the time, they will be hyped up all the time, which can lead to negative behavior issues.  I have been forced to change my lifestyle and practice calm, since bringing Skye home 3 days ago.  I now recognize how my excited state of being has negatively affected my own dogs and their behavior, which is causing Skye's transition into my home to be more difficult.  So I reached out for help from our two certified dog trainers at Shelter Link.

I was lacking the tools and the understanding of dog behavior, which was throwing off the balance in my house.  I will be perfectly honest, it hasn't been an easy few days, but I am learning so much about dog behavior and training, and it really is amazing if you follow the recommendations of a professional trainer, the immediate positive results you get.  I never even realized how hyped up I always was.  When I was approaching a training exercise with the dogs, or giving a correction, I wasn't in a clam state.  No wonder I wasn't getting the results I was looking for.  But after watching Jack, a certified trainer and member of Shelter Link work with my dogs and Skye, I saw exactly what it meant to be calm and how positively it affects a dog's behavior, leading to the results you are looking for.

It is a work in progress here, and it is heading in a positive direction.  I have so much support from the two certified dog trainers at Shelter Link, if I call, they come and lead me.  I am never alone at this.

So, two points to my post today, one, practice calm and see how it affects your relationship with your dog, and two, fostering a shelter dog may be a challenge, but with support, like we have here at Shelter Link, can be one of the best learning experiences of your life and lead you to be a better dog owner.  It certainly has for me.


Thanks for reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment